Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Turnips and Greens....

Our friend Marshall Mumford (real name and is exactly like you would imagine a Marshall Mumford to be) called the other day and asked me if I wanted some turnips...I told him I didn't really know if I wanted them or not, but that I would try them...so we went over to his house and he pulled up these beauties...then he asked if I wanted "a mess of greens" too...Ummmm....never really tried those either, but what the heck.
 The greens turned out to be kale...very large and kinda rubbery leaves with a thick stalk and veins.
 ...so I looked up some recipes on Allrecipes.com and made these sour cream and cheddar turnips and...
 ..these spicy mustard and garlic greens.....so....I don't think I like turnips and greens....Darrin liked the kale, but he likes cooked spinach and I don't.  
Another first for the Gordon family in Delaware....and for some of us...a last as well.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I have a really yummy soup recipe that calls for Kale...Zuppa Tuscano...like at Olive Garden...I only put a teeny bit in though...way to be adventurous! I'm glad you are having a family thanksgiving out there! miss you guys

Emily Gordon said...

Um... ew. Hope the house doesn't smell like those messes for too long... haha!

...physically and mentally!