Wednesday, March 12, 2008

For My Mother

UNKNOWN
Happiness and joy, a child of my mother.
No cares, no heartache,
No thoughts of becoming.
She bore them all and more.
She soothed my fevered brow,
Gently rubbed my aches away.
All the while, harboring a love
The depth of which was unknown to me.
Now as I wipe a tear
From the cheek of a child,
It mingles with my own in understanding.
Each sleepless night,
Each sorrow, each painful step
She knew, she felt, she lived.
The circle has been completed.
Now I am mother.
Oh that I may fulfill that calling as you have done.
With your example, I cannot fail.
I can bear the heartaches,
the cares, and the worries.

I am able to give back
Some of that which you gave so freely.
Let me soothe your fevered brow,
Gently rub your aches away
And ease the burden of your returning.
All the while being filled with gratitude
For the depth of love that we share.
Marcie

1 comment:

Jill said...

I hate all of this but it is really a tender and sweet time for us. I'm glad we have had time to say what we want to her. Even though no words seem to be enough...

...physically and mentally!