Thursday, September 11, 2008

7th Anniversary of 911 attacks.

I love this video. But the story behind it is just as compelling. Watch this first and then read the story
http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

The young man in the video is Joe Cook, and is indeed an Iraq veteran - one of three brothers from a Chicago suburb who served there. Cook was wounded in Baghdad during "surge" operations. The Chicago ABC affiliate did a story on Cook's homecoming in October, 2007.
He was badly wounded when the vehicle he was in was hit by a roadside bomb. Cook arrived at O'Hare airport Monday. <...>Late Monday afternoon, Joe Cook came home after weeks of stateside rehab.
"They're going to have to teach me how to walk without a limp, teach me how to run again. It should be fun," Joe Cook said.
He was captain of his high school cross country team but now will walk now with a prosthesis. His welcome home at the airport is being followed by a welcome home in the village of Wauconda. The village has made it a habit to welcome every combat vet back home.
"We want to make sure that nobody has the experience that our brothers and sisters had coming back from previous wars. We want everyone to feel welcome," police officer Pat Yost said.
Joe Cook said he's relaxed and looking ahead to college.
All three of the Cook brothers enlisted in the Army within six months of each other, and all volunteered for service in Iraq. Their parents say each one of the sons was determined to pursue that choice
. And while the parents are extremely excited to have Joe back at home, they still have two sons in Iraq. This was posted on Aug. 27 - I don't recall the exact views then but it was a six-figure number. It's been viewed 3.4 million times as of now - I suspect that's not going to slow for a while. Is that a problem for the Obama campaign?
I HOPE SO! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I thought that was a great video also. I saw that earlier today and it makes a great point... By the way, I am so jealous that you guys got to go to FutaleufĂș, Chile. It is so spectacularly beautiful, and I met some people in other cities who were born and raised in that small town. What I wouldn't do to be able to go travel southern Chile for a few weeks...(except pay $5,000!) Craig

...physically and mentally!